Saying that lemons are a super food is an understatement. Not only do they add abundant flavor to a variety of dishes, but they also boast a ton of health benefits.
The flavonoids within the juice are said to contain antioxidants, which is why lemons are useful in treating so many ailments and conditions. Here are 10 reasons to enjoy them ASAP.
- Prevent kidney stones:Drinking one half-cup of lemon juice every day raises citrate levels in the urine. Studies have shown that this could protect againstcalcium stones in the kidney.
- Soothe a sore throat:Mixing lemon juice with honey can help alleviate the discomfort that comes from a nasty sore throat.
- Support weight loss:Beyond the old notion that the MasterCleansewas the only way lemons could help you lose weight, new studies have shown the ways lemon juice supports your goals. Lemon juice contains pectin, a soluble fiber that has been shown toaid in weight-loss struggles.
- Start your day right:Leave caffeinated drinks behind, and start your day off with hot water and fresh lemon juice tostimulate your digestive trackand add vitamin C.
- Stop an itch:When it comes to poison ivy or insect bites,rubbing lemon juiceon the area can soothe the skin, since it has anti-inflammatory and anesthetic effects.
- Aids in digestion:Dr. Oz is a big believer in the power oflemon juice for weight loss. He suggests drinking a mixture of lemon juice and flaxseeds in order to eliminate waste more quickly from your body.
- Anticancer properties:Studies have supported theanticancer activity of citrus liminoids, compounds that protect your cells from damage that can lead to the formation ofcancer cells.
- Potassiumpower:Bananas aren't the only way to get a big helping of potassium in your system. In addition to vitamin C, lemons offer80 milligramsof this mineral that helps your body stay strong and nimble.
- Bring down a fever:Forget the days of starving a fever! When your temperature goes up, drinking alemon juice mixturecan help bring your fever down faster.
- Balance pH:While lemons may seem quite acidic, they're a surprisingly good source of analkaline foodthat can help balance your body's pH.